Your privacy is important to us.
This statement tells you about our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information through your use of all of our websites, mobile applications and other online mediums and digital platforms (“Platforms”).
It has been prepared in accordance with our obligations and your rights in the Privacy Act 2020. We may change it from time to time.
What does the Privacy Statement include?
The personal information we collect may include your name, date of birth, addresses, email address, telephone numbers, gender, and information on your use of our services or facilities. We may also collect other information provided by you or about you in connection with your use of our services or facilities, or our Platforms, or through your communications with us.
We may collect personal information about you as set out below:
- When you, or someone authorised by you to act on your behalf, provides information to us directly. For example, when you:
- Correspond with us, whether in person, by letter, phone, text, email, instant messages or other means of electronic communication
- Complete and submit forms we provide (including for applications for consents, licences, approvals, permits, funding or other authorisations or for the use of any of our services or facilities, including signing up for and using our Platforms)
- Prepare and submit a written submission, request or other feedback (including in relation to applications for consents, licences, approvals, permits, funding or other authorisations, or in relation to any form of draft or proposed plan, policy, bylaw or other document)
- Use any of our services or facilities or interact with our Platforms. This includes the content you access and any services you use (such as search terms, web pages you have accessed)
- Subscribe to any of our newsletter or update services
- Follow or post comments in response to our social media or other facilities such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
- Apply for employment with us
- We may keep a record of any information that you get from us
- We may monitor and record phone calls for quality control and/or staff training purposes and other purposes related to the purpose of your call. We will let you know at the time of the call if a call is to be monitored and recorded
- When you visit one of our Platforms, we may utilise automatic data collection technology solutions such as browser cookies to collect information about how our Platforms are being used.
- We use camera surveillance for a number of purposes and at a number of locations.
We will generally only use personal information provided to us through the Platforms for the purpose you provided it (e.g. to action or respond to the information provided, to provide services to you, to administer or improve the Platforms or to improve our services). We may also use personal information provided to us through the Platforms for other reasons permitted by the Privacy Act (e.g. with your consent, for a directly related purpose, or where the law permits or requires it).
By providing us with your electronic contact details (including mobile number and email address) you agree that we and our agents may send you electronic messages for any of the purposes set out in this statement.
You may post information on public areas of our Platforms, or transmit information to other users of our Platforms. If you use a discussion or posting forum feature on our Platforms, please be aware that any information you submit there can be viewed and used by other Platforms users. Your contributions are posted or transmitted to others at your own risk.
We may disclose personal information about you to:
- Any organisation that provides products or services to you on our behalf, but only where necessary for the provision of those products or services
- Council Controlled Organisations (a list of our “CCO”s can be found on the GWRC website), in order to assist with the functions and services that they provide to you
- Another agency if we are permitted to do so by law, or in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations. For example, this may include sharing camera surveillance footage with the New Zealand Police or other public sector agencies where criminal activity is reported or suspected. The New Zealand Police may also access live feeds from certain camera surveillance cameras, for law enforcement, investigation and emergency response purposes
- Any person you authorise us to disclose your personal information to
- Any person, if your information is held in a public register. For example, information held on the rating information database
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we request, we may not be able to adequately respond to your correspondence, process any applications you have submitted, provide the services or facilities you have requested, process payments or deal with any requests you have submitted. You may not be able to fully utilise all of our products and services and you may not be able to register an account which is needed to gain access to certain features of our Platforms.
In some circumstances, failure to provide information when requested may result in legal consequences. These circumstances and the potential consequences will be explained at the point when your personal information is requested.
We take reasonable steps to ensure personal information is:
- Protected against loss, damage, misuse and unauthorised access. We restrict access to personal information to those with a ‘need to know’; and
- Kept accurate, up to date, complete, relevant, and not misleading
We may retain all personal information that we collect for as long as administratively necessary and in accordance with our information retention and disposal schedule.
The Public Records Act 2005 requires us to retain “protected records” indefinitely. In some circumstances, your personal information may be included within a protected record, including submissions you make in relation to bylaws, annual plans, and regional planning instruments.
You have the right to:
- Find out from us whether we hold personal information about you
- Access that information; and, if applicable
- Request correction of that information
If we refuse a request for correction, you are entitled to request that a statement be attached to the information, recording the correction that was sought but not made.
If you want to check personal information that we hold about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As you interact with our Platforms, we may use automatic data collection technologies, such as cookies, to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns.
This information may be used for the purposes set out in this statement. Examples of the kind of information we may collect include:
- Website related traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data
- Data related to your use of our Platforms. This includes the pages you visit, the resources and services that you access, the time you spend on each page, the date and time of your visit, referring pages (pages you came from or go to), and statistical data derived from your use of our Platforms
- Information about your device, computer and network connection (including your IP address, operating system, hardware version and browser type)
- If you allow our Platforms to deliver content based on your location (for example, by enabling this feature on your mobile device) we may collect location data (such as through GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals). This information could be used for the automated delivery of relevant content to you
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include log files, usage monitoring software and cookies.
If you have any queries about this statement or relating to the personal information we manage, please contact our Privacy Officer.
Email address: email@example.com
Privacy Officer, Greater Wellington Regional Council
PO Box 11-646
Specific provisions, in addition to above, that apply just to:
Our Platforms include social media features (such as the Facebook ‘like’ and ‘share’ buttons or interactive programs that run on our site). These features may collect your IP address, which pages you visit on our site, and how long for. If you're a member of a social media site, the interfaces may allow the social media site to connect your visits to this site with other personal information. Social media features are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our Platform. Your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy statements and policies of the third party providing it. We accept no responsibility for the actions of those third parties.
We may provide an application programming interface (‘API’) to enable third party applications to interface with our Platforms. Some applications enable you to interact with us through the API in a way that requires you to log in. To do this, most of these applications will direct you through a process where you are able to let the application connect to your account.
If you allow an application to connect to your account on our Platforms, including if you set up your account on our Platform using an API with a third party social media platform, that application will be able to access information that you can see when you are logged in to our Platforms. You should only allow applications you trust to access your account on our Platforms.
If you set up your account on our Platforms using an API with a third party social media platform, you consent to us obtaining and using your information from such platform.
If you are using one of our mobile applications, you acknowledge and accept that we can:
- Choose to send you ’Push Notifications’. This is a message that pops up on a mobile device at any time. ’Push Notification’ preferences can be configured in the application's settings (you have the option to disable the notification when you open the app for the first time, and you can also go to your mobile phone setting to disable the notification)
- Access your device’s location function and collect, use, and disclose this information as set out in this statement (you can disable the ‘share location’ setting if you don't want our Platforms to access your location)
We will collect personal information provided by you if you participate in our promotions and competitions. We collect this information in order to conduct the promotion or competition. We may disclose this information to third parties such as agents, contractors, service providers and prize suppliers for this purpose. We may also use and disclose this information as set out in this statement. Entry is conditional on providing the required information. If the information is not fully supplied the entry may be void.
Camera surveillance generally operates at number of bus stops.
In relation to Metlink services and Snapper Services Limited:
- Emails may be forwarded between us and Snapper to allow resolution of queries. Generally, you will be copied in to these emails
- Social media messages will be shared between us and Snapper to allow resolution of queries
- We may provide Snapper with your phone number so that Snapper can contact you directly to respond to a query
- Personal information collected by our Metlink Contact Centre (including for the purposes of resolving complaints and refund queries about the Snapper Card), may include your contact data and Snapper card number. We may provide this information to Snapper to assist in responding to you
For access and correction requests or for other queries in relation to personal information regarding buses please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We have a separate Privacy Statement for the process of obtaining a tertiary concession for bus services.
Camera surveillance generally operates on the trains, at the majority of Metlink rail stations and station carparks.
For access and correction requests or for other queries in relation to personal information regarding trains please contact email@example.com
We may monitor and record phone calls to the GWRC 0800 number (0800 496 734), Metlink 0800 number (0800 801 700) and the main phone line at each GWRC location for quality control and/or staff training purposes and other purposes related to the purpose of your call. We will let you know at the time of the call if a call is to be monitored and recorded.
For access and correction requests or for other queries in relation to personal information regarding our call centres please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are applying for employment with us, please refer to the Application Fact Sheet for an explanation of why some of the questions on your application form are being asked. All our offers of employment are conditional on criminal background checks, verification of your entitlement to work in New Zealand, and pre-employment health checks for safety critical roles, to our satisfaction.
For access and correction requests or for other queries in relation to personal information regarding employment please contact email@example.com
If you or your child participate in or deliver the Cycle Skills Programme and you have provided consent, we may take photos of you/your child during the event.
Any photos may be used by us for training, promotional or educational materials, including but not limited to inclusion in or on:
- GWRC owned and managed social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter)
- GWRC owned and managed websites
- Leaflets and posters
All photos taken remain the property of GWRC.
For access and correction requests or for other queries in relation to personal information regarding the Cycle Skills Programme please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
We publish digital newsletters to internal and external audiences. Direct mailers are emails sent about specific information. Current examples include Councillor newsletter, internal newsletters, community newsletter, and service updates to Metlink schools.
We will collect your email address, preferred topic / areas, and details of your interactions with our related email campaigns; and use this information to send relevant emails and to establish the effectiveness of individual campaigns.
We use MailChimp, a digital marketing platform, to send out the newsletters and service updates. The platform uses Google Maps and YouTube to provide certain features of its services. Your personal information will therefore also be handled in accordance with the Google, YouTube and MailChimp privacy policies. You can sign-up to our community newsletter, Tō Tātou Rohe - Our Region, online, or by emailing email@example.com
Get in touch